Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Lists of Things

 
Hi. 
I've been gone for awhile. This is a fact. 

A lot of things have happened since I last blogged at you. 

The first thing is that I moved. It’s funny that my last (and very, unnecessarily, painfully long) blog was all about how much I love my apartment.

And then I decided to move like a week later. So what kind of person does that make me? I suppose that’s for you to decide.
Before you judge me please consider these things:

1.     I was pretty sure I was experiencing a mid-twenties/Alice In Wonderland type of growth spurt and I was actually getting totally freaked out by the smallness of my studio.
2.     With the exception of one really great person I was feeling largely friendless in Detroit.
3.     I was about to start grad school and I wanted to take advantage of the many amenities that I am paying so much money for.  (It’s not cheap to attend the 2nd best School of Social Work in the country, and yeah I get to brag about that a little bit) 

So there’s that. It seems like such a long time ago. Sadly, nothing I do goes unpunished. I’ve been struggling with adjusting to a new apartment as well as school. While I am largely happy with this decision, I do miss my funky Detroit neighborhood. I’m in an apartment complex now and I just hate the idea of it. I pay a lot more money for less community and less pleasing aesthetic quality. I have had to call the police twice because people were fighting in the courtyard.
But here are the really awesome things:

1.     I am 45 minutes closer to fiancé’! We’ve gone from a 16 hour car ride, to 2.5 hours to 1.75 hours (depending on traffic and my fear of driving in any condition). So that is pretty baller.
2.     My best friend lives close by! She is married and has a job and I have a stupid schedule, but just the fact that she’s only 20 minutes away is nice.
3.     I’m closer to family members that I’ve never been close to before and I’m getting to know one of my cousins.
4.     I have a bedroom. It is still weird not to be sleeping in what was combination living room/office/boudoir/craft studio. 

That last thing makes me feel sort of grown up. 

Here are some things that I’ve done that are strange and adult-like.
1.     I have renter’s insurance.
2.     I’ve been able to keep a plant alive (it will probably die now that I’ve said that)
3.     I’m getting glasses
4.     I bought a toaster
5.     That’s it. 

Here are the reasons why I am still very much ungrownup. It’s a really good thing that I’m not getting married for at least two years because I am what the youngsters call a “hot mess”. 

1.     I’m working on a wreath made of acorns. Of course I am too busy to find enough acorns/fight squirrels so now I have about 30 useless acorns sitting on my kitchen counter. They will probably be there for awhile longer.
2.     I can’t be bothered to clean regularly for any reason.
3.     I am still well versed in what it means to become intimate with a bag of chips. Interpret that however you want.
4.     I have a big fat diamond on my hand and I’m pretty sure I’m going to drop it down a sewer. Not on purpose, obviously, but because I paranoid. 

That’s about it. I’m going to try and do a better job at updating this again. I’ve gotten into pretty good routine, but no promises. 

It’s mostly to take a break from the unbelievable amounts of homework I am expected to accomplish, as well as an interruption from the constant conversation about how sad the world is and what we’re going to do about it. Passion needs to back off sometimes. 

I also don’t want to suffer from dead blog syndrome. That would be disappointing to everyone who is involved in the creation of this masterpiece. 

Also I'm not editing this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment